Friday, April 29, 2016

How to Grow Green Onions From Scrap Indoors


By Al Jazeera English (Large green onions) [CC BY-SA 2.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0)], via Wikimedia Commons

I absolutely love green onions, but they're kind of expensive here and they don't keep for very long. When I did buy them, I never used a whole bunch so they wound up going to waste. I'm all about being as frugal as possible, so I found a way to grow the scraps into an endless supply of free, fresh green onions! Here's how:

  • Trim the green and light green areas off of a bunch of green onions. Set them aside to be used.
  • Take a clear glass jar and stand up the ends, root side down.
  • Add one to two inches of water, and place the jar in a bright window.
  • Change the water and rinse the roots every few days to prevent mildew.
That's it! It's super easy and low-maintenance, and costs you nothing if you repurpose a glass jar from a food purchase (I use a baby food jar). I usually get between one and four inches of growth in a week, but my window isn't very bright. If you have a lot more sunlight coming in you could have much more.

No comments:

Post a Comment